Re: Problems with Alternator Alternative

To: racarbon@optonline.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problems with Alternator Alternative
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:08:57 EST
In a message dated 1/7/2006 12:04:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
racarbon@optonline.net writes:
Delco SI-10  (NAPA #21341001-148 63amp) Alternator.  Although seeming to be a
simple conversion, I have not achieve proper charging and need the
perspectives and suggestion of those who have successfully achieved this
conversion.

After having the re-rebuild alternator checked for the third time by a
professional,
Ray--

Have you checked output with a voltmeter directly at the alternator
terminals?

I have encountered several NAPA alternators defective out of the box for
various reasons--bad bearings and faulty regulators.  I think the term "NAPA
Gold"
refers only to the length of the guarantee as opposed to the quality of
workmanship employed in the rebuilding process.

I have a Leece-Neville (Prestolite) alternator on my BN1 that I like very
much--it has an external regulator.

Best--Michael Oritt--100 Le Mans