RE: Hydraulic Woes

To: "'Ned Smith'" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: RE: Hydraulic Woes
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:09:55 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Ned Smith
Sent: 16 January 2006 16:14
To: Austin-Healey List
Subject: Hydraulic Woes

I have just finished overhauling the brake and clutch master cylinders and
calipers and clutch slave. I find the following problems:

Clutch master cylinder

The valve on the outboard end of the plunger keeps coming off. After a few
strokes, it stops pumping. I took it out of the car again and opened it up
and there is the rubber valve at the bottom of the chamber. The brake master
has a similar configuration but I've had no problem with that.

Never been in there, so won't comment.

Brake caliper

The reason the bleed screw on the right caliper keeps leaking is that the
hole is stripped. I suppose I could put a heli-coil in the hole. I have
never used one before. Is that feasible? I don't want to have to buy a new
caliper.

Well, you may get away with coating the thread on the bleed screw if you are
lucky. Depends on how bad the thread is. Look at the Speed Bleeder site. Get
the Speed Bleders while you're at it....you'll only have to open them up by
1/2 a turn to bleed, which will help preserve the integrity of the coated
thread??
Over here, UK, callipers are usually done on an exchange basis, so it's not
too painful.
I don't see why not to helicoil. You'd have to split the calliper (to get
the swarf out). This may be contrary to the accepted orthodoxy, but you can
buy the little rubber seals that are the only things inside. Just do the
bolts up good and tight. To be honest, those little seals are how old? Say,
40+/- yrs old, so a bit of judicious splitting is probably called for
anyhow!
Simon.

Your help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5