Re: Hydraulic Woes

To: Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Woes
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:27:00 +0800
Ned -

Clutch Master

I would always prefer to replace a clutch or brake master cylinder with a
new unit rather than futzing and trying to rebuild a unit.  Usually
rebuilding these units results in either failure or short lifespan (i.e. 10K
miles of use or less).  Just get a new clutch master unit, they aren't that
expensive.

Caliper -

I can't really comment on this but I suspect doing the helicoil is not
really the preferred solution.  There are tons of used BJ8 calipers around,
why don't just swap it for a rebuilt unit (most healey suppliers have em) or
buy a good used unit from a healey supplier and rebuild it yourself.   I
would never cheap out on anything in the hydraulic system, especially the
brakes!

Best Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8