Re: vacuum advance queries

To: "'Austin-Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: vacuum advance queries
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:39:39 -0500
Simon Lachlan wrote:

>1)       If I have my strobe timing light shining at the timing mark and the
>rpms are at a constant, say, 1000, will sucking/blowing on the little black
>tube cause the timing marks to move relative to each other? A lot? A little?
>Or not at all, even if the mechanism is fine 'cos one cannot develop enough
>puff to do it in the first place?
>
>2)       If huffing and puffing down the little tube makes no difference at
>all and one suspects, as I do, that the thing has shuffled off this mortal
>coil, how can I physically test it? Can I take it off the distributor, hold
>it in my hand/in the vice and do something to it/test it in some way that
>will determine whether it works or not.

I don't think that your Mk. I lungs can develop enough huff or puff to
affect things, but at your local parts place, you should be able to get
a small hand-squeezed vacuum pump for exactly that sort of thing.  Under
50 quid, I'd imagine, and it's good for all sorts of diagnostic tasks on
modern (emission controlled) vehicles.
--
John Miller