Re: vacuum advance queries

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: vacuum advance queries
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:10:03 +0000
Owners might be interested in a simple test suggested to me by an 'old
timer' about 50 years ago.

Ideally you need a quiet area but it is not essential. If testing for
leaks with the vacuum advance unit out of the distributor just push the
linkage in against the internal spring, put a thumb over the suction
pipe fitting and let go of the linkage. No movement of the linkage after
the initial settling should be visible. I just count 10 slowly and then
remove my thumb, listening for the air to rush in and the linkage to
drop back to it 'off' position. If this happens then the unit is most
likely OK. If air movement can be heard or the linkage moves out during
the test; the unit is almost certainly faulty. In very bad cases the
unit will not hold vacuum at all.

It is possible to do this test with the unit still in the distributor or
car. The vacuum pipe has to be disconnected and the distributor advance
plate rotated carefully using a screwdriver.

Regards

--
John Harper