Re: Healey list

To: Rod Shepherd <rodshepherd@optusnet.com.au>,
Subject: Re: Healey list
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:55:06 -0800
Rod:

I posted this to the list yesterday in response to a query from Tracy.
Apparently it did not make it to the list, only the copy to Tracy, and I
haven't heard from him that he got it.

So  ------------  here it is again:

Tracy:

I installed the Smitty kit in my BJ8.  I had to mess around a bit -
reposition the clutch lever forward  - had a machinist friend  make a longer
ball stud clutch pivot than the Smitty piece, and make up a slightly longer
slave cyl push rod so the slave cyl piston was running where I wanted it to
in the bore.  It was a bit fiddly but worked out well in the end.

I installed a BJ8 clutch in my BT7 - in my opinion a great improvement
whether the gearbox is original, or a 5-speed kit is used.  (I've retained
the original geabox / overdrive in the BT7).

You'll either have to find a BJ8 flywheel, or have a machine shop re-drill
the BT7's flywheel (2 pins) to take the 3 pin BJ8 clutch and the BJ8's
larger mounting bolts.  It's really not a big deal - no other major changes
are necessary, use the normal BJ8 disc and throwout bearing, or the Toyota
parts as recommended in the Smitty instructions if you go that route.  It
would also be a good time to consider installing a rear main seal kit as the
flywheel will be off anyway - you're right there (except for the rear
plate), and the kit can be installed to the 6 cyl engine while it's still in
the car.  (Don't forget to have a new rear plate to block gasket on hand.)

Here's a good trick:  If you decide to go with the Smitty, you can
temporarily mount the bellhouse, without the gearbox, to the engine rear
plate, mount up the slave cyl. and test the clutch operation while watching
the action through the hole in the rear of the bellhouse.  Remember to keep
a clutch alignment tool (or an old input shaft) installed at all times so
you don't drop the clutch disc into the pressure plate.  Using this method,
you can actually remove and re-install the ball stud and clutch lever
assembly as many times as needed to get it happy before you make the final
installation.

One friend had the gearbox in and out seven times before it was right - a
real pain!  You want to avoid that excercise if at all possible.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8