Barret Jackson Auction and BJ8 "values"

To: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Barret Jackson Auction and BJ8 "values"
From: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:02:10 -0800 (PST)
I have been reading all the posts in the last few days with regard to the
winning bids on BJ8s at the Barret Jackson Auction. The goings on at  these
celebrity auctions hopefully do not reflect the reality of the hobby.This is
show business not market forces at work.  I would not be surprised to find out
that the buyer, the seller, and the auctioneer have cut deals beforehand. You
know the old saying if it is too good to be true it probably isn't.  Why would
a rational person pay $140K for an Austin Healey when he can buy something
similar for a fraction of that amount. Or is this the "greater sucker theory"
at work here? It doesn't matter how much I paid there will always be a greater
sucker than myself to buy it from me. Well if that is the case I have a project
'65 BJ8 I could be persuaded to give up for $50K (LOL).
  Jorge Garcia
  Houston, TX
  1965 BJ8

Yahoo! Photos