Multiple Recent Topics

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Multiple Recent Topics
From: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:43:16 -0600
I have been interested in reading the varied opinions regarding the
recent B-J auction offerings.  It seems that most everyone has a
viewpoint...and there are several schools of thought being
expressed...quite adamantly.

First, in response to the earlier query as to whether anyone uses a
leather "witch's hat" on their shift lever, I do.  It was on the car
when I purchased it in 1981 and is in nearly perfect condition and I
have gotten used to it and when I had my BJ8 restored last year, I
discovered that I preferred the look and retained it.

Which leads to the second part of my response: in my view, as long as a
potential purchaser of any item is given full disclosure so that an
informed decision to purchase, or not, can be made, I feel that a
current owner is free to maintain or not, or modify, or not, the item.
 The current owner's preferences may not meet with an observer's
approval or preference, but that is of secondary importance unless the
observer wants to purchase the item prior to any modifications.

That being my perspective, last year, when my BJ8 was restored, I had to
consider what color I wanted it to be painted.  I wanted to retain as
much of the original black interior as possible as well as as some other
parts that were in good condition.  Keeping those criteria in mind, the
car went through a ground-up, thorough restoration.  The car was
originally Colorado Red, but the PO had had it given a good paint job,
though it was a too-metallic silver.  I would have preferred a more
creamy silver.  While exploring the new color, I thought about silver
over OEW, but in discussing my choice with the restoration shop, I
agreed that silver was never a factory color and that a close and, in my
opinion, very classy alternative was Metallic Golden Beige, over OEW.  I
had never seen an MGB-colored AH, except in a few photos but I was shown
a 4X6 inch color chip.  I was sold and have not regretted the decision
or the outcome.

As to the choices and preferences we make, whether with our Healeys or
in our life, for me the Charlotte, NC diner waitress had it right when
she told me, "Whatever melts your butter."

R. Cobb
'66 BJ8 Metallic Golden Beige/OEW....not relevant but coincidently off
the assembly line 6 cars ahead of Kurt Tanner's record-breaking BJ8!