Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS

To: andyslistmail@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:45:02 EST
In a message dated 1/26/2006 10:36:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
andyslistmail@gmail.com writes:
The question of whether a tire is "hard or soft" is an interesting one, and I
assume refers to the ride quality and not the rubber quality of the tread.
But please correct me on this if I am wrong.
Andy--

I had always heard the terms "hard" or "soft" applied to the tire's
consistency and therefore perhaps its stickiness and its propensity to break
away.  I
also wonder about how long those XAS's have been sitting on the shelves--I
don't have the data but do know that tires tend to harden as time goes on.

I was interested in them because even in the 165 configuration they seem to
have approximately the same overall diameter as do my present ZX 175's and I
like to hold on to ground clearance if possible.  Plus, like you I have
aesthetic objections to wide aspect tires on our cars, and the XAS's though a
bit
wider than the ZX's, seem like they would fulfill this requirement.

Where is your source for the XAS's--as I remember Coker now has the license
to make them.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans