Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS

To: Andrew K <andyslistmail@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tire questions - Turbosteel vs. XAS
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:33:22 -0700
Hi Andrew,

Factory tire compounds vary considerably in the beginning, & also harden
a lot with age. The harder the tread the less traction. When tires are
made, the vulcanizing process cures, hardens, the soft rubber. This
process continues at a slower rate throughout the life of the tire due
to heat & exposure to ultraviolet light & ozone. Tires that sit on a
dealers shelf for years, that are stored in a hot location, exposed to
sunlight, near ozone generating devices, (anything that makes sparks)
may have hardened to less than half of their useful life before ever
being installed on a car.

It's not hard to tell if a tire is age hardened or just plain was made
that way. You use a tire durometer. A device that measures the tread
hardness on the "Shore A" scale. You can see one here. Durometers are
found in the tool boxes of most serious racers.
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=815,363_3955&action=product

For reference, a fairly sticky street tire may measure somewhere around
60. After five years of exposure to heat, UV light from the sun, &
atmospheric ozone, it may measure 85 or 90. This represents a large loss
of traction. Tires designed for high mileage as a primary consideration
may measure 85 or 90 from the start. Sticky, competition only, tires
could run from 30 to 50.

Another effect of age hardening is that the tire may become brittle &
experience tread separation. Thus the "safety" discussiouns about
maximum tire life limits.

When you go to buy tires, check the durometer readings & look for
something in the range of 60.

Regards,
Dave Russell