"Performance Siping" Your Tires

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Performance Siping" Your Tires
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:05:10 -0800
Les Schwab Tires is offering a service called Siping.  To quote a brochure,
"Siping is done by placing your tires (new or used) on a specially designed
machine that rotates your tires while making small, virtually invisible 90
degree cuts in your tread.  Only under very close inspection can the SIPES even
be seen, and you're more likely to tell by your improved driving experience
than by visual inspection."

They have a 'demonstration' device that purports to exhibit the 35% reduction
in braking distance with SIPED tires.  This is supposed to be accomplished by
providing dozens of more gripping edges.  It is an impressive demonstration.
Improved braking, better traction, smoother ride, cooler running are claimed.

The one question I did not ask was whether their machine could mount a Healey
wire wheel properly.  I think I will take a wheel down there and have them show
me how they would mount it on the machine.

Has anyone had any experience with SIPING?

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031