re pre loading frame

To: "healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: re pre loading frame
From: "B&C Phillips" <bjcap@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:36:48 -0500
Hello all,

When we replace major components of the center areas( i.e. sills,
outriggers) our plan is to have components tackedwelded at front section of
car, fenders and doors on car. Lift up with jack at front hinge post so door
comes up at rear @ 3/16 , then tack or vice grip rear sill  out rigger and
rear sill to inner rear well.  Let car down and see what happens, adjust so
door back lines up with rear fender. Remember front fenders are your key to
alignment. Those screws holding the inner flange to the hingpost were the
factory settings. Assuming you have it all original ( key point here)
This is the way Everett Smith had recomended to me years ago . I believe
that when doing this type of repair the car is now ''sagging'' so to say
because of one or more main components holding the center of the car are not
in place. At this point the only areas holding the weight are the center of
the bulkhead ( trans area) Sometimes it took a few ajustments to see when it
lined up but never had a problem and dorrs could be taken off all day long
and still line up perfect.  Outer door sills are matched to bottom line of
door and left to right according to fender locations. You have a little bit
of adjustment at the front tab to hinge post( ive seen factory tabs with a
big curve in them).
We did not have engine and trans in and did try the weight theory and it had
no difference. The cars were not put together with the engine and trans in
so to me it must be a structural problem that needs to be solved.
Remember there are a lot of areas that are prone to rust here, All must be
addressed as they all play a key part in structural integrity. Cut out the
rusty parts and seek cars to make patterns or use mirror images from other
side if good, it takes time and a lot of patience, just do it as the factory
did it in its original sequence.
Carroll Phillips    Top Down Restorations inc.