New Healey

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: New Healey
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 00:58:46 +1100
Somebody must go first so why not me?
The style of the 'new' Healey appeals to me.Sure it is not the same and
why should that be expected almost 40 years after the last Austin Healey
and 50 years after the original.
BUT the above numbers apply to the Austin range only.Donald contracted
with Austin to provide the mechanicals and finance the sub-contractors
who built Healeys

There were Healeys before and after 'our' Austin Healeys. After the
100's the Healey family had little to do with and were limited by the
'big bother ' BMC

Donald and Geoff were always looking to build a better vehicle. The
built many prototypes as higher performing specials based on the
standard in the hope that BMC management would move to a better car.
There were;
100 coupes
3000 coupes
GT and streamliner Sprites in all steel suitable for road use.
High performance rear engined GT car that had a Sprite like platform
chassis that could be a production car ( GT.40 like SR.37 LeMans car)
Check out Bill Emersons fine book-the best ever photo collection of the
total Healey picture.

Over the years the Healey Motor Company developed cars with the
following features;
concealed headlights
windshields that wound down into the scuttle
pneumatic rear bumper
roller bearing front suspensions
removable rear windows
power operated convertible tops
4 wheel disc brakes in 1955
awarded 'Most Beautiful Car of Show
rally champions
speed & endurance record holders
twin cam & 5 speed
fuel injected

Obviously  the Healeys did not want to stand still.
SO WHY WOULD A NEW HEALEY REPLICATE THE OLD?

In my view the new image has certain cues from 'our' cars
flowing line from front to rear
wheel arch hugs wheel/tire
works guard vent
rear window with similar lines/angles to 3000 hardtop
six cyl. ( the best internally balanced configuration )

Obviously getting a new car off he ground will be most difficult but how
often is 'our' style used by graphic artist/photographers?
Look at TVR
How many times have we seen press release tempters put out to judge the
value of the Healey name/brand

I say give it some positive feedback and support.

Joe with what credentials?
First car at 17yo  BN.4
Still have red & blue one 40 years later- both Healey Chassis plated and
GT's-fixed roof.
Meet Donald,Geoff,Brian,Roger Menadue and Jock Reid
First night member of the Sydney / NSW  AHOC   Australia
Went on 1500 mile honeymoon with 15 lb./ sq.in. oil pressure cold, 10-12
hot
Drove it to work,moved houses and relocated cats in it
Took two girls in long dresses and three blokes to a dance with hardtop on.
Love 'em.