Re: Camber

To: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Camber
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 20:04:58 +0000
Greg,

I too suffered the heartbreak of excessive positive camber for many years
on my BJ8 (though not quite as severe as your affliction).  I got a set
of nylon/graphite offset bushes from BCS and got as much pos. camber
out as I could with them.  I think they will give a max of 1.5-2deg adjustment.

I then went to a frame/alignment shop (Freeman Frame in San Jose) who
got underneath with a hydraulic ram and did who knows what to get the wheels
near 1 deg pos. as specified.  The difference in handling was
noticeable; i.e. better turn-in.

I suspect they just weren't that picky at the factory when they installed the
shock mounting plates, erring on the pos. camber side.  That, and some
variation in the shock arm length can cause excessive pos. camber.

Our 100M has excessive neg. camber.  I asked the list if it's feasible to
bend the shock arms to compensate; the answers were all over the place,
from "DON'T DO IT" to "sure, but use some heat" and "sure, but don't use
heat."  Peter at Worldwide Auto says they do it, and don't use heat.

bs

From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>