electrical questions

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: electrical questions
From: Edwin Harris <mail@edwinharris.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:05:17 -0400
After letting my BJ8 sit unattended in the garage for 4+ years ( which I
certainly won't do again), it  fails to charge. The dynamo is
"dynamoing" (new word), because I checked it with a voltmeter as per the
factory workshop manual. The connections are o.k. from the generator to
the control box, and the wires are o.k. according to an ohmmeter. I
removed and cleaned the voltage regulator ground wire and checked its
conductivity.  I do not want to attempt to mess with the voltage
regulator (control box) other than to be sure the points are clean, as
Victoria British has these reasonably priced. Does this appear to be the
problem? The manual gives instructions to test the regulator, but seems
to me that if the generator and connections are o.k. this must be the
problem. (Besides the ignition light I have an ammeter installed, which
shows a continuous discharge.)

  Another problem is that all the lights failed to work, as did the
horn. After removing the fuses and fuse box, checking the fuses, sanding
the connectors and fuse ends with 600 grit sandpaper (fuses were
tarnished on ends) and brushing out the receptacles with a copper brush
for a .22 rifle barrel the parking lights and panel lights work, but not
the headlights and horn. I suspect I'll have to check every connection
on these lines.  Any suggestions appreciated.

 I won't blame this on the Prince of Darkness just yet, but on my own
neglect. Once I get this solved, rebuild the brake system, add silicone
fluid, and redo the interior I expect to start really enjoying the
Healey as I enjoyed my BN7 back in the early sixties. Also, I have
added  dehumidifiers to the garages for my TD and Healey both, which
should help.

Edwin Harris
'50 MG-TD  '65 BJ8