Batteries on two-seaters.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Batteries on two-seaters.
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:59:38 EDT
Well, my two Interstate six-volt batteries that I installed in the car for
concours judging sometime in the early '90s finally got too pooped to start the
car every time, so I replaced them last week. Horror of horrors, I took my own
advice to non-concours owners and replaced them with one 12-volt battery,
mounted on the same brackets and in the same tray on the passenger side as I
had
originally used for one of the six-volts.
Only challenge in doing this is that no one can cross-reference batteries by
size. So I took the appropriate measurements -- the original trays will hold a
battery measuring eight inches long and seven inches wide, and the car can
hold a battery a maximum of about nine inches high. (the 4-cylinder cars might
be a touch shorter.
So, I wandered one of the battery stores measuring batteries until I found
the appropriate size, which turns out to be a "Type 26" or "Type 26R" -- so if
you want to buy the same thing, and are afflicted with a store that doesn't
keep the batteries out on open shelves, just ask for that type. BTW, Optima
does
not make a battery that will fit the original tray.

Cheers
Gary