Re: The Head is Off

To: Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: Re: The Head is Off
From: Yellow 65BJ8 <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:40:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Ned,

Sounds like you have made good progress...

I agree with the comments from Michael Salter, but,
sometimes budgets are fixed, and doing the best thing
is not always possible.  So given a TIGHT budget, I
would look at it this way;

1.  If the engine has no more than 30k miles on it
since the last rebuild, then I would replace the
piston, the rings, and inspect and regrind [replace
only if damaged by ring fragments] the 2 valves and
seats on cylinder #1.  If the oil pressure was fine
prior to your ticking problem, I would pass on the con
rod bearings.  All new gaskets of course.

2.  If the engine has no more than 60K miles on it,
and it had good oil pressure before your problem, I
would also replace all the rings, and replace the con
rod bearings.  Based on your good compressions, I
would pass on the rest of the valves.

3.  If the engine has over 100K, I would also grind
all the valves, and replace all the valve springs.

4.  If you decide to take the engine out of the car,
then it starts to make sense to replace the crank
bearings and clutch center plate/pressure bearing -
but this is now moving rapidly toward the full rebuild
- which maybe just to much money at this time.

The key items for another good period from the engine
are - good compressions, good oil hot pressure, good
gaskets, good wiring, and a decent clutch.  Try to
carefully evaluate the key engine health items prior
to the problem, and take a tough but sensible line on
each. Lots of engines run for years on one new piston,
or one new valve.

Keep us informed - an interesting thread.

Best, Robert, Yellow 65BJ8

--- Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net> wrote:

> The water temp. sensor finally released and the head
> is off. Those of you
> that suggested Broken Piston Rings were correct.
> You will receive your
> checks by certified mail shortly. I found a < piece
> of ring laying on top
> and small opening at the edge of the piston.  You
> can see a rub mark in
> the cylinder wall but I cant feel any scratches
> with my thumb nail. I hope
> this means I wont have to pull the block and
> re-bore the cylinders?
>

> This project is being done on a budget so I want to
> do everything that needs
> to be done and nothing that doesnt.
>
> I know that that piston and rings must be replaced.
> Should all rings be
> replaced?
>
> How about replacing all bearings I can reach?
>
> Should I rebuilt the oil pump?
>
> Should the valve seats be replaced and the valves
> ground?
>
> I have already sent the rocker assembly out to be
> rebuilt.
>

> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
>

> Ned Smith
>
> BJ8
>
> near Chattanooga, TN
>
> N34.98 W85.5

Robert - Yellow 65BJ8
rnbmail@yahoo.com
Cell: 408-221-5244

If this email message has been received by you in error, please contact the
sender asap - Thank You.