Re: Carburettor Balance tools

To: "Michael Branson" <bransmi@optusnet.com.au>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carburettor Balance tools
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 01:17:37 -0400
Mike,
As somebody who was really just learning to set up the carbs a few years ago,
and then re-learning once I retrofitted it to the original tricarbs, I have a
suggestion.  I find this a lot easier.

I bought all of the mix and carb sync gizmos....  Unisyn, Colortune, the
little flags you can put into the tops of the vac chamber in place of the oil
dampers...  What a pain in the ass.   The best thing I have found is to set
the carbs to the base adjustments as described in the manuals or owners
manuals.. Then use a length of hose as a "stethoscope" to listen to the hiss
level of the air flow, and adjust them to be equal, readjust the idle, recheck
the balance, repeat as necessary.  Back the mix off in small increments and
periodically check the plugs for the correct gray deposits. The car runs as
well or better after setup this way, as with the use of any of that junk. -I
just had to have one "old timer" sneer at my Unisyn, to learn my lesson.

Dave J.