Intermittant ignition problem

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intermittant ignition problem
From: "George Vernau Sr." <gvernau@containerhouse.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:25:26 -0500
I recently changed to a reduction gear starter on my 1967 BJ8 (a fantastic
improvement by the way) and thereafter started
having intermittant ignition 'cutting out' problems.  My first thought was a
short resulting from the starter change but I think
I've eliminated that as a cause.  I now have noticed that it occurs at roughly
the same distance from the house,ie, also the same elapsed time (about 25-30
minutes).  Could something be heating up and failing?  It has a Pertronics
Electronic Ignition so no condenser but it does have a rotor.  How about the
coil- could the heat be causing the intermittant cutting out- I think I last
changed coils in the 1970's.  It's not a fuel problem, I've checked it out.
I've owned the car since new so I'm pretty familiar with all the ways for Mr.
Lucas to trick me but I can't figure this one out.   I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
 George Vernau Sr., Houston