Re: Clutch Replacement

To: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Clutch Replacement
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:28:18 -0700
Paul,

I've removed the transmission from my BJ8 from above.  I don't think you
can drop it--I've
never heard of anybody doing that--but I haven't tried, either.  I was
younger and dumber,
but I lifted the tranny and OD by hand (must be close to 200lb).  I'd
recommend you use a
lift or hoist.   You have to remove the seats and transmission cover,
whether you lift or
drop it, and the starter has to come out (if I recall correctly).

You have to get underneath first to remove the lower bellhousing bolts
and the two (I think)
pins under the trans/OD mounts.  You don't need to remove the prop
shaft, just unbolt at
the OD and move aside.

If you plan ahead and work systematically and efficiently, you should be
able to get it out in
about 4 hours.

bs