Re: Clutch Replacement

To: "PG" <britishcars@shaw.ca>,
Subject: Re: Clutch Replacement
From: "Rick Neves _._" <56BN2_06@genomictechnologies.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:28:22 -0400
Hey Paul,

I've had to take the tranny out of my BN-2 about three times in the past
year. I originally installed the engine and tranny in one piece and then had
to take the tranny out to first repair a problem where the tranny was stuck
in two gears at the same time due to one of those pesky balls not being
installed correctly at some time in the past. The second time I removed the
tranny to rebuild the it and the overdrive. It was just making more noise
than it should and finally It developed a rattle and that was due to one of
those springs that hold the throw-out bearing in place, it broke and the
throw-out bearing was rattling.

The tranny removal procedure is pretty straight forward. Remove the seats
and carpets, remove the tranny cover and tunnel cover. Support the engine
with a couple of blocks of wood. Disconnect the clutch, support the weight
of the tranny with a jack, remove rear tranny mount, driveshaft, overdrive
wiring, speedo cable and then remove the bolts around the bell housing and
the starter. Once the tranny is free, you can begin to separate the tranny
from the engine by jacking and lowering the tranny a bit. The up and down
motion should be enough to create a gap big enough to free the alignment
pins. Then you can work the tranny away by sitting behind it and rotating it
back and forth using the shifter as leverage. I like to have a bunch of
heavy blankets or packing blankets around the cockpit area to keep the
tranny from damage. Once it is free you will be able to rotate it back and
up into the passengers seat area. You can probably leave it there as you
work on the clutch.

One of the tricky parts is getting the tranny tunnel out of the way. Work
the shift into different positions and move the tunnel up and into the
passengers side of the cockpit. At some point it will frustrate you a bit
but it will eventually come off, without doing to much damage.

Beware that the bolts holding the clutch plate on are special British
threads and because these bolts are under a lot of force, they should be
replaced with un torqued bolts and they should be assembled back on with the
correct torque. Its not a high torque and you can easily break one because
it is not that high and the bolts are small <3/8. I broke a couple and it
was a bear to find replacements, so it is best to have a new set on hand. I
think MOSS has them on the back pages.

Good luck. and remember to support the engine.
Sincerely

Rick Neves

'56 BN-2

www.RickNeves.com