Stuck Valves

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck Valves
From: HealeyBJ7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:49:13 EDT
Allow me to pick a few of the brains out there.

Car is a 100M. Engine totally rebuilt during restoration a few years ago.
Not used much since, MAYBE 1000 mi.

Started off a few weekends ago and after a few miles I noticed the car
surging at hiways speeds. Pulled over and let it idle and it was making a
terrible
clattering noise. (I actually called the people I was going to meet and
canceled. Went to call AAA for a flatbed and the noise stopped and the car ran
great.) Proceeded with a 60 mile drive and the car was perfect.

During the day, every time I started up the clattering was there for a  short
time. Oil pressure was 40psi at idle. Car ran great on the 60 mile trip  home.

The next day when I tried to start it, it spun over very fast on the  starter
and when it finally caught, it clunked along on one cylinder. After a  few
min, of that a second cyl. came on, then a third and then the  forth. During
that time the noise it was making was scary. Once all  four were firing, the
motor was perfect,

Today, I did a compression check. Engine cold, throttles open. 0, 140, 0,  0.
Pulled the valve cover and found the problem. Valves nos. 1, 5, and 8 stuck
open. ( No wonder it clattered so badly) And it seems obvious that once things
 warm up the valve giudes are expanding and letting the valves work  again.

Question are:
What could cause this to happen?
Any suggestions as to how to correct it?

As always, thanks for any and all imput!
Bob