RE: New Camshaft Profile

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New Camshaft Profile
From: "GARY MOOMAU" <moomau@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 09:24:07 -0700
Hello List,

After reading many threads on cams for Healeys, I believe that Michael
Salter brought up some very good points that have never been mentioned or
overlooked regarding the installation of a higher performance cam.  I do not
claim to know all of the physics and science behind an engine (I do not the
difference between a cam dwell or idle), but I do have a story that may
plant some seeds to those that are incline to put in a bigger cam.

Many years ago I wanted to increase the horsepower in my new 66 Malibu.  I
took it to the locale "Speed Shop" and it was suggested that I put in a new
beefed up Crowler Cam (Rollerized to boot) and lifters.  I did.  Except for
sounding mean at idle, when RPMs increased the power decreased.  Back to the
Speed Shop, I was advised that I needed a high rise manifold and an AFB
carburetor because the engine needed more gas and air because of the cam.
Put them in.  Sounded real mean, but still had problems with increased RPMs,
the engine would begin stalling at 4000 rpms.  Back to the Speed Shop, I was
advised that without new larger heads with increased value size (and
especially the exhaust values), the cam would not work as designed (The
engine could not breath).  Put them in.  Took to car to the local drag
stripe to test it and still had big problems at higher RPMs.  Back to the
Speed Shop, put it on a dyno, and it would flood out at 4000 rmps.  I was
advised that the cam needs straight out headers for the drag strip and 4
inch exhaust pipes for the drive around town.  THE ENGINE COULD NOT BREATH
PROPERLY.

I know this story is over simplified and I will hear from many experts, but
it brings up two points that I learned.  First, know what you getting into
and Second, be prepared for other possible up grades (ask anyone who put a
racing car or a hot rod together).

What happened to the 66 Malibu?  I received orders to report for duty in
Vietnam, my wife at the time took off with "Dear John", and she had the
finance company repossess the car after she blew up the engine.  That is the
bad news.  The good news is that when I got home from Vietnam, got a divorce
and bought my first Austin Healey (1960 3000 BT7).  The bad news it was
stolen a year later.  The good news is that I got another Austin Healey
(1967 3000 BJ8) after my second divorce and I still own it 25 years later.

Thank you for listening.

Gary Moomau, 67 BJ8

Yucaipa, CA