Door handle help

To: Austin Healey-List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door handle help
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 20:23:59 -0700
All of a sudden, I cannot open the (driver's, unfortunately) door on my 62
BT7. To clarify, the outer handle has been broken off for some time, and
some body work is needed before I can install its replacement - but, the
front inner handle has served me well - until today.

I have an original shop manual, and it says to depress the ring around the
handle, pull the pin which will be uncovered thereby, and it will then all
come apart. Fine, but NOTHING wants to "depress", AT ALL. Then I noticed
that the instructions for removing the "facing" (via the sixteen screws)
came ahead of the handle paragraph.  Is one supposed to take the "facing"
off the door BEFORE attempting to remove the handle to fix whatever is
broken? Certainly seems like one would have better/easier access that way.

I even tried vise grips on the actuator bar, but could not budge it. The
driver's handle will now barely turn 1/8", while the one on the passenger
side is very smooth, and moves through an arc of perhaps 450.

Thanks in advance for any and all tips!

Dick Hosmer