RE: Tape on exhaust headers

To: "'Simon Lachlan'" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Tape on exhaust headers
From: "Alan" <alan@nfahc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:23:49 +0100
Hi Simon.
If the supplier in this case is Denis Welch then he is right, the heat
shield does fit. I can send pics of the setup on my BJ8 and in a few weeks
Jim Finch's Tri-Carb can be photographed.  He is in Italy for a couple of
weeks driving round the Mille Miglia course (10 days not 10 hours).

I've heard from the Hot-Rodders that taping the pipes can cause them to
crack at the welds where the flange bolts to the head.  Not sure why but
I've seen it happen on a Nasty Boy.

I would recommend keeping the shield.  It is a last ditch safety if fuel
should leak from the float chambers.  It should go down the overflows but
you never know.

The Inlet manifold and cast exhaust are bolted together so they come off in
a lump after the carbs.  The heat transfer bosses on the underside of the
inlet have to be relieved (by grinding) to allow the manifold to sit really
close to the 6-branch. Nothing too complicated and very obvious as you offer
up the inlet with exhaust in place.

I will be in Devon with the BJ8 from 26-29 May if you fancy a Noggin n
Natter - We are staying in Sidmouth.

Alan Bromfield
http://www.nfahc.co.uk