Differental Noise

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differental Noise
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 12:51:20 -0700
Hi again,  I've been trying to put some easy miles on my BN7 to break in the
engine and I have about 350 miles on it to date which means that I also have
the same on my new differential gears from Mike Lempert.  The differential was
rebuild by Pro-Gear in San Diego with the new gear set and some bearings so I
assume that it was done correctly.  I followed the break in instructions to
the letter,  but I have started to hear a clunking noise during slow speed
shifting which I believe I have isolated to the differential.  The drive shaft
bolts are tight;  the universal joints are new;  All suspension bolts are
tight.   There is about a 1/4 inch of free play or rotation when I rotate the
driveshaft back and forth which produces a clunking sound in the differential.
Is this normal?   If not, is it doing damage to the new gears or can I drive
it this summer before taking it apart to get it fixed?
As always, thanks for any advise.
Ron Fine
61BN7