Oil Additives & Engine Cleaners

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Additives & Engine Cleaners
From: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 07:50:31 -0700
I was talking to an older English Mechanic at a British Field meet and he
told me that adding an engine oil additive/cleaner...(the ones where you run
your car for 1 hour after adding and then drain and put new oil in as
opposed to a simple additive) is a good way to preserve your engine and
remove the carbon around the rings and sludge in the pan.  He suggested a
product from Wynn called "Rizone".    Another product was made by GUNK and
by KLEEN-GLO.

I have always been nervous of these additives as I seem to remember articles
stating that carbon around the rings can actually help keep your compression
up and sometimes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I have reviewed the archives and while there are lots of articles about oil
additives, I could not find any about Engine Cleaners..

Anybody have any experiences or comments?

Paul