Re: Cooling problems BJ8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling problems BJ8
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 21:32:32 +0000
George,

Pressurized cooling systems don't necessarily prevent overheating.  The
pressure cap will increase the temp at which the coolant boils (something
like a degree or two per psi), but it doesn't sound like you're boiling anyway.
I think most Healeys call for a 7psi cap; which "Shop Manual" are you reading?

Sounds more like you have blockage in your radiator, block or both.  Have
you had the radiator rodded and pressure tested?  Any idea if the block was
hot-tanked at the last rebuild?  Is the coolant gunky, and what ratio antifreeze
to water are you using?

Thermal conductivity of water is greater than that of antifreeze.  If you're in
a warm climate you can get by with less antifreeze, or none at all if you use
a rust-preventative.  With or without antifreeze, you might try adding
Water Wetter--it should buy you a couple degrees.

Failure to grease the water pump--assuming you don't have the sealed-
bearing type--will result in leaking of coolant and noise, up to the sound
of your fan hitting your radiator.

Belt-tightening is a matter of feel; the general guideline is about a half-inch
of deflection per foot of belt if you press on the belt with "moderate" pressure
from your thumb or finger.  "Moderate pressure" is pretty subjective, but
I'd guess more people err on the side of overtightening than undertightening.
Grab the fan, and you should only be able to turn it with a fair amount of
torque.

BTW, the behavior of your car is "normal" if you happen to be in traffic
in Phoenix in July ;)

bs

From: George.Alexopoulos@beldencdt.com