RE: By-pass the overdrive relay?

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: By-pass the overdrive relay?
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:03:38 +1000
 G'day

Before I started the restoration of my car during the late 1970s I
by-passed the relays and the OD worked perfectly.

However it eventually became difficult to engage once again and I did
away with the electrics altogether by using a piece of wire coat hanger
that disappeared through the gearbox tunnel and connected to the
solenoid lever. That worked perfectly well too.

During the restoration I was infected by a touch of originalityitis and
it all went back to the way it should have been.

The OD is one of the most endearing aspects of Austin-Healey ownership
and I went to all sorts of lengths to keep it working as back then there
wasn't the network of repairers and suppliers we have today.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

1947 Healey Duncan Saloon