By-pass the overdrive relay?

To: "'Healeys@Autox. Team. Net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: By-pass the overdrive relay?
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:10:31 +0100
Hi,
Whilst cramming the huge new 6 branch exhaust into the miniscule space that
is the engine bay of my MkII BT7, I touched the terminals of the OD relay on
the bulkhead with the end of a socket spanner extension. (I have the relay
with spade connectors).
Luckily I've fused it, but that did not prevent the customary blue flash and
smell of fried Lucas.
So, when I took the car out for a test this afternoon, the OD engaged once
then out again with fuse blown.
Engine off so I could experiment with new fuse etc and hear the click and
new fuse in holder..relay on bulkhead made god-awful buzzing then fuse blew.
I have no time to be too thorough as am taking car on trip to and round
Ireland in two days time, so I've ordered new relay and hope my diagnosis is
correct (fried relay).
BUT, the supplier may let me down or I may be wrong...
Please remind me:-
Am I right in remembering that one can by-pass the relay so that it just
comes on with the switch, but has nothing to do with the revs/position of
the accelerator??
Am I also right in remembering that this does not jeopardize the OD as the
switch by the gear stick continues to function and the OD still disengages
when one puts car in reverse??

I used to be quite au fait with OD electrics, but - like a student who crams
for his exam at the last moment - I've forgotten it as quickly as I
learnt(?) it.

My ferry to Ireland leaves at 02:45 Sunday morning. What a time!

Simon Lachlan
Comfort House
Bradninch
Devon EX5 4NN