Tricarb Venting

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tricarb Venting
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:33:04 -0400
I have not driven my tricarb any great distances since it's conversion back to
triples and it's rebuild, -but in driving around town, and while working on
it, running, -I have noticed that there is appreciably more exhaust smell from
the crank case and valve cover vent, than there was when the car had the twin
HDs on it.

It is not to the point where it produces headaches or other symptoms, --but
the smell is there, and it is definitely coming from the screen on the air
filter on the rear carb.  --Is this fairly typical of the tricarbs out there?
I'm aware that the pancake air filter does not create much of a vortex to suck
the vapors into the carb, and that there is approximately 34% less air flow
into the carb throat than on a dual carb setup.......

Is this all I am dealing with? (I'd hate to "gas" myself, unaware...).   Is
there a means to measure the venting volume from the hose, or to determine if
the output is too high?  --Any solution for improving the draw on the carb, to
reduce the escaped vapors?

(Engine is practically new from rebuild, and compression is excellent)

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA