oil pool (wheel bearings?)

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil pool (wheel bearings?)
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 15:45:57 -0700
Listers:

I got back from a car show the other day in my 67 BJ8 and noticed when I got
back, oil on the driveway at 4 foot intervals obviously left by my tires on
the right side.

Apparently, when I backed out I had left a trail.

There was a pool of dark oil, probably 60wt or better 10 inches in diameter
just inside where the right wheel was.

It's not engine oil.

I heard no strange noises during the drive.

A week later, another very small pool in the same spot half the size. I was
only driving around the block. No noises.

The Bilstein shock seems fine.

Did I loose a seal in my wheel bearing and how do I tell?

If so, should I have the car flat-beded to my mechanic 25 minutes away?

TIA

The other Ronald O. Davies

Laguna Hills

67 BJ8