Re: Transmission tunnel questions

To: Bugtop <bugtop@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission tunnel questions
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 06:48:18 -0400
A couple of answers

Bugtop wrote:

> 1)The Tunnel had rubber grommets in the four screw holes, (on each
> side) which mount the tunnel to the floor.  The holes are about 3/8"
> wide with the grommet out.  I haven't seen rubber grommets in any  parts
> pictures.  Are these grommets correct?  What are the correct  screws
> that hold the tunnel down?

The service parts list (AKD1151 4ed) calls out:
     8  AHB9268 - Grommet, tunnel fixing
     8  53K3157 - Washer, for screw (plain)
     6  PTZ807 - Screw fixing gearbox cover (7/8")
     2  PTZ808 - Screw fixing gearbox cover (1")
starting with chassis numbers 16039 BN7, and 15881 BT7.  The parts list covers
BT7, BN7 and BJ7.  There aren't any comments about changes for the BJ7.  Check
with Bill Bolton for the grommets.  The fastener type code given the A-H
100/100-6/3000 Restoration Guide doesn't seem to cover these screws.  But they
are a Phillips zinc plated sheet metal screw.  Maybe a #8 pan head or truss
head?  I can pull my tunnel off the shelf this evening and see what's there if
needed.

> 2)I have a tunnel seal kit from the Nocks, and the bottom seal, which
> is a U shaped seal, does this fit over the raised metal lip on the
> body, and the inside tunnel lip then press seals on that?

The same parts list shows the seal to be more of a "J" shape.  The "J" hooks on
the outside lip of the gearbox cover flange.  Seals between the cover and the
floor.

Bob