HD8 Tuning Quandary

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: HD8 Tuning Quandary
From: "John Rose" <john@jesor.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:59:42 -0700
Good evening all,

The HD8's on my 1966 BJ8 are driving me to distraction..

After arriving at operating temperature, and balancing air flows with a
Uni-Syn, I raised the pistons  to the prescribed 1/32" and attained the
desired slight increase in engine speed prior to it settling back...which
conventional wisdom states that the correct mixture has been attained.

However, when deploying a Colortune to ideally fine tune the SUs, my results
were anything but consistent.

The front cylinders have the desired blue color, but the back three are
quite yellow...suggesting that the mixture is indeed as rich as it smells
(with all garage doors open).

Given the above, it appears that the rear unit does not have the correct
mixture, despite the modest increase in engine speed mentioned above
(reducing the jet screw setting causes it to stall when the piston is
raised). In that the carbs were recently (less than 1,000 miles),
rebuilt...by a professional...it would appear that "I" am doing something
wrong.

I look to the collective wisdom of the list to advise what where my errors
might lie.

Thank you for your thoughts.

John