Initial/total advance

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Initial/total advance
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:52:46 EDT
Tomorrow morning I'm hopefully completing installation of a Mallory Unilite
distributor in my wife's 3000 MK I--I'm using the model with vacuum advance.
The literature says that the unit as set from the factory has 24 degrees of
advance--the springs can be changed to get up to 28 degrees I believe so I
guess
they are referring to centifugal?

The engine (cam, carbs, etc.) is stock as far as I know.  What should the
initial/ idle advance be and what should the total be and at revs.  Should the
timing be set with vacuum tube attached or capped off?

Best--Michael Oritt