Re: AW: water pump greasing

To: "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AW: water pump greasing
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 06:37:09 -0700
Reinhart,

The original water pumps had a fitting with a "flip up" cap on the
housing for greasing.  The later,
sealed-bearing type have the casting boss for the fitting, but no
fitting.

If your water pump seal is shot, it'll leak.  If the bearings are shot,
the fan might make itself
acquainted with the radiator, or the pump could seize, most likely
destroying the belt.  The pump
will pump until either of these happen; i.e water pumps don't have a
degraded mode, they either
work or they fail.

There are lots of possible causes for overheating (check the archives).
More probably it's crud
in the block or the radiator (especially if the coolant is old).

bs