Fuel Pump Position change

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump Position change
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:57:30 -0400
I need some feedback from those of you that have changed their fuel pump from
the left side over the exhaust to the right side similar to the BJ8s.

I have done a temporary switch on my Bt7 project using the ORIGINAL BT7 pump
bracket and the LATER Su fuel pump.  Is there a problem using the original
bracket in this location instead of the right angle bracket that was used in
the later  models?   The pump looks to me to be out of harms way unless the
axle decides to move upward 5 to six inches and even then I don't believe
there should be a problem.  I even tried to raise the rear axle up to see if
it would come close to fouling out on the pump but the axle didn't even come
off of the frame pads.  Those are pretty serious rear springs on there.

2 more questions,   Why did they change the pump bracket to a rt. angle.  And
does the rear axle ever deflect enough to hit the bump stop boxes?   That's
about 8 to 9 inches or more of travel  and right now the axle refuses to come
off of the frame even when jacked up under the axle.  If it actually does
raise that high I may have to move the pump again or have a rt. angle bracket
made.  Or for that matter is this modification a serious enough problem  to
wory about.  Should it be reinstalled as original on the left side?

The replumbing and wiring will not be a problem either way at this point.

What is the consensus here?

Thanks,  Mark