Re: Clutch and or transmission problem

To: Jerry Costanzo <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch and or transmission problem
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 07:00:46 -0700
Jerry,

Sounds like you have two problems.  First, some questions:

1) did you replace the flexible hydraulic line when you rebuilt the gearbox?

2) did the clutch slipping happen suddenly, or did it develop over time?

3) by "loud vibration/rattle" are you referring to the car, or is it
isolated to the gearbox?

4) how come 10K miles on the gearbox, but only 5K on the clutch and
pressure plate?
    Does this mean you didn't replace the clutch and pressure plate when
you had the
    gearbox out for rebuilding?

5) did you install new pilot and throwout bearings?  at 5K? 10K?

Sounds like two different problems to me, but may be related.  Easiest
to check is the
hydraulic line.  It could have partially collapsed inside, and may be
holding some
pressure on the throwout bearing.  This could explain the slipping.
Replace the hose
and thoroughly bleed the system.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to pull the gearbox if it continues.
Some causes of
slipping (besides the collapsed line) are oil on the clutch plate--this can
cause "judder," which is a vibration when the clutch is let out, but
usually shakes the
whole car--or a worn clutch .  You might have a broken spring or two on
the clutch plate,
or it could be warped.

The vibration could be from a shot pilot bearing, which would allow the
input shaft to
wobble when the clutch pedal is depressed.  Otherwise, it might be
something painful
in the gearbox.

bs