Re: fuel tank saga

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: fuel tank saga
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:03:40 -0700
Jim,

Maybe not "operator error". I recall another lister complaining that
Jorge's tanks came with tapered threads, not straight threads. They called
him about it but was told tapered is correct and he has sold hundreds of tanks
and
no one ever complained (well .. except for him since he was calling).

So maybe I'm wrong but here's what my tank fittings look like on an original
BJ7 tank.
(I have two tanks exactly like this .. straight threads)

http://www.loftusdesign.net/restorationweb/fuellinefittings.html

Perhaps there's a difference for other models but not sure what you have.

For new lines I would check with Doug Reid who produces fuel and brake lines.
http://www.vintage-sportscar-touring.ca/technical/brakelines.html

Hopefully others will chime in with their findings on the straight vs. tapered
threads.

Cheers,
John

In the installation process, the
brass fitting at the end of the fuel line that connects to the tank got its
threads stripped (operator error, no doubt). I assume since none of the
usual suspects carry a replacement fuel line that I can replace with copper
line and brass fitting, and install a fuel filter in the process?

Jim Parish