rear axle paper gasket

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: rear axle paper gasket
From: Warthodson@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:49:30 EDT
While rebuilding the rear axle on my 3000, I have run into the following
dilemma:
The shop manual states that the new bearing & spacer must protrude beyond the
outer face of the hub & paper gasket (washer) by .001" to .004". This ensures
that the bearing is pinched between the hub & flange on the axle.  Mine
proturdes .004" WITHOUT the paper gasket. My paper gasket (from Victoria
British)
is .013" thick.
Is there a source for a .003" or thinner paper gasket?
Is it advisable to assemble this joint without a gasket & rely on some modern
high tech "liquid gasket maker" to fill the .004" gap?

Thanks,
Gary Hodson