RE: Rocker cover rivets

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rocker cover rivets
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:31:21 -0700
Their website doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.  I haven't
actually seen the www.handsonrivet.com tools, but they sound like what you
get in a $2 pack of snap fasteners in the fabric section of Wal-Mart.  If
they are like these, I would have a couple of caveats about using them (the
Wal-Mart tools work fine for installing snap fasteners):
1.  The depth of the dished area in the concave disc is too deep to
accommodate the shallow height of the rivet head, and it is likely that the
edges of this part of the tool would put a circular impression in the plate
during bucking of the rivet.
2.  The depth of the valve cover means the length of the rod-shaped tool
should be several inches long in order to work effectively.

As I said, I haven't seen the handson.com tools and they may work fine for
this job.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry