RE: Rocker cover rivets

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rocker cover rivets
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:28:34 -0700 (PDT)

From:    rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date:    Sat, August 19, 2006 12:27 pm
To:      "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Cc:      healeys@autox.team.net

I originally inquired to Hanson Rivet about getting only about a dozen
rivets of the correct size to install the plates on my Bugeye valve cover.
 The sales person told me that they only sell in minimun lots of 100
rivets, but if I bought the tool to roll the lip of the hollow end of the
rivet (I used a piece of hardwood to back up the rivet) he would send me
"samples" of several sizes of rivets including the ones I needed.  I got
enough rivets to do a half dozen valve covers.  Besides, Hanson sends me a
nice stick-on card calender every year to put on my tool box since 2000.
Mike Maclean
56 BN2
60 AN5
P.S. I did not recommend to use the leather snap tools, just an example of
what the correct tool configuration is.

BJ8Healeys
> Their website doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.  I
haven't actually seen the www.handsonrivet.com tools, but they sound
like what you get in a $2 pack of snap fasteners in the fabric section
of Wal-Mart.  If they are like these, I would have a couple of caveats
about using them (the
> Wal-Mart tools work fine for installing snap fasteners):
> 1.  The depth of the dished area in the concave disc is too deep to
accommodate the shallow height of the rivet head, and it is likely that
the
> edges of this part of the tool would put a circular impression in the plate
> during bucking of the rivet.
> 2.  The depth of the valve cover means the length of the rod-shaped tool
should be several inches long in order to work effectively.

> As I said, I haven't seen the handson.com tools and they may work fine
for this job.

> Steve Byers
> HBJ8L/36666
> BJ8 Registry
> Havelock, NC  USA

There are two tools involved.  One is a small round concave shaped disc
that the head of the rivet sits in and you then take the other rod
shaped tool with the dish shaped tip that has a dimple in the center and
hit it with a hammer.  The rod shaped tool rolls the hollow tip of the
rivet out tight against the inner side of the rocker cover permanently
attaching the plate to the cover.  One look at the tools and you will
understand. Similar tools are used to install snaps to leather.
> Mike MacLean
> 56 BN2
> 60 AN5
>

> linwood rose
>> When installing the rivets to secure the two plates on top of the
rocker cover do you just place the top of the cover (head of rivet)
against something hard and then hit the hollow rivet shaft with a ball
peen hammer on the inside of the rocker cover? No reason to heat one of
these little hollow rivets is there?