Re: starting problem

To: "Jim Parish" <jimp@parishpartners.com>
Subject: Re: starting problem
From: "Eureka Saws Co, Inc." <ambritts@ptdprolog.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 21:03:27 -0400
Hi Jim,
Here is a check you can make to possibly help eliminate the shimmy if you
have tried everything else. Many suffer with the problem even after changing
everything up front but to no avail. Jack up the car and remove the wheel.
Ideally you should have a run out gauge, but can run the test with a good
straight edge. If you are using a run out gauge set it so the indicator
finger is at the edge of the hub. rotate the wheel and see what the run out
is. If it is beyond .008" to .012" this will increase significantly at the
tire edge causing the shimmy. If you are checking with a straight edge,
place it across the hub and see if you get any rocking end to end. If you
find there is run out or rocking with your hub, a good machine shop can true
it in a lathe. I have solved "cowl shake", "shimmy" in many LBC's with the
problem. My TR6 and TR3 had this problem after complete front end rebuilds
during their restorations. No problems now. My TR3 was out .018", my TR6 was
much more severe, .042". Both corrected on my lathe and solved a long
standing shimmy.
Alex