Re: starting problem

To: Jim Parish <jimp@parishpartners.com>,
Subject: Re: starting problem
From: <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 16:07:45 -0400
Jim and Alex,

For many years I was told and believed that any out of balance on the rear was
not part of the shimmy because of the large mass of the rear axle assembly.
Then about 2 or so years ago I decided to check out the brake drums.  At about
this same time the discussion popped up on the list.

I found that out of balance brake drums at the rear can be a major contributor
to shimmy.  After balancing the drums on my BJ8 it made a significant
improvement in the problem!  And it took 2-3 ounces welded to the perimeter of
each drum to do it!

I suggest you take a look at that possibility.

Keith Pennell