Re: How to Tell If Your Shocks Need Overhauling?

To: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: How to Tell If Your Shocks Need Overhauling?
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:44:34 -0500
I will say this, the bounce test is not really a reliable way to test the
rear shocks on a Healey, I tested this way on my BN1, on the first highway
trip I took the car was scary on bumpy corners, soon after I took the rear
shocks off, one had frozen and stripped the splines on the shock/arm
connection,  the other was just plain shot, no resistance to movement.

Is easy enough to take the shock off, or at least unhook the link so it is
free, test the movement by hand you should get strong steady resistance to
attmpts to move it quickly, if you don't and shock oil is full with no air
pockets, shock is shot and should be rebuilt/replaced.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1