BJ8 Brochure, fuel consumption, and tires

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BJ8 Brochure, fuel consumption, and tires
From: "James Sailer" <BJ8healey@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:52:25 -0600
Hi Folks,

Seeing as there is nothing to do on my car anymore except drive it, I have
started collecting original literature for a Phase II BJ8. I had purchased a
"66 brochure", the standard multi-page brochure, last year sometime and was
quite happy until I noticed that the front directional/parking light
configuration in the brochure was that of a Phase 1 BJ8.  I looked in
earnest for one with the dual light configuration for a long long time and
finally stumbled across one and am now awaiting its delivery. Is there
anyone out there that knows anything about the history of the changes of
these brochures for the BJ8?

On the question on fuel consumption, I too get poorer mileage (13 mph),
which I attribute to my fast road cam, and driving habits (Heck I can get my
2003 Cooper S to get 24 mph - but it sure is fun).  (It is pretty pathetic
that the BJ8 gets worse gas mileage than my 93 Land Rover Defender 110.)
When fine tuning my rebuilt BJ8 motor I had to re-jet my carbs to the next
smaller needle to achieve proper mixture.

Regarding tires,  I switched to the Gillette wide tracks this year (mainly
because I went back to 60 spoke painted wheels from 72 spoke chrome wheels
and the Michelin is not available) and like the tires.  The look good and
handle very well.

Thanks

Jim Sailer
1966 BJ8 (I need another Healey to rebuild when I start collecting
brochures)
2003 Mini Cooper S (way too fun and looking forward to snow and driving fun)
1993 Land Rover D110 (the best - Only way to drive the back country and
winters in Idaho)