Re: Concidering Smitty's conversion for my BN1/feedback

To: heavyhiking@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Concidering Smitty's conversion for my BN1/feedback
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:44:28 EDT
1. Why  if any reason should I not put a Smitty's conversion in my  BN1?
A. Originality
B.  You like fixing OD components
C.  $$

2.  How will it affect acceleration and top  speed?

A.  No appreciable difference in top speed--3rd OD is about the same  as
5th--but you will have a nice all-sychro five-speed transmission with ratios
that
are closer together.  You'll also have a nice hydraulic clutch that is  much
smoother than the manual one that you now have.

3.  Is it posible to change the conversion back to original  without much
notice that it was there?

The biggest visible difference will be the size of the transmission tunnel
and the location of the shifter--there's no reason you could not go back so
long  as you save the original tunnel, etc.

4.  What toyota trannies are most recomended for this?

W55 or W58--I have lots of good technical information regarding the various
transmissions on my other computer--contact me again after Monday and  I will
send it to you.

5.  Is there any additional feedback  from List regarding the conversion

I love it--have not met anyone who has done the conversion that does not
feel that way.

Best--Michael Oritt, BN1 w/5-speed