Re: HVLP Spray guns

To: Allyn Richardson <allynrichardson@cox.net>
Subject: Re: HVLP Spray guns
From: Mark Fawcett <m.fawcett@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 08:09:00 -0700
Allyn Richardson wrote:
> Disclaimer here: I'm not a painting expert! A fact that my Wife taught me
> ("your not an expert in everything!" A revelation that really helped to
> shrink my over-inflated ego) but I believe a compressor putting out less
> than 5 CFM should be more than adequate. I think the High Volume refers to
> the amount of paint applied from the gun. You get less blow back from the
> paint hitting the project surface due to the low pressure, making the
> spraying process more controllable. Many new paint formulations are high
> solids low VOC now for air quality regulations and work great in HVLP
> applications. Spraying lacquer won't work to well though.
>
> Allyn

The High Volume refers to the amount of air that is moved not the amount
of paint.  A conventional compressor certainly can do the job, but
requires a higher CFM rating with a at least a 30 gallon tank because of
the volume of air needed. My compressor has a 25 gallon tank and I would
have to stop painting to let the compressor catch up.
Mark Fawcett