Fw: HVLP v Pressure Spray Guns

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: HVLP v Pressure Spray Guns
From: "John Rowe" <jarowe@westnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:06:00 +0800
 Whoa Patrick

 HVLP stands for High volume of air, low pressure at the nozzle. The design
was brought about because of environmental issues.

 The low pressure means that the 50 pi at the air inlet to the gun (and if
the gun is compliant to the standard) that the nozzle pressure is lower than
10psi.

The volume required is about 20cfm. More than most home compressors.

The advantages are the EPA is happy and you loose less product.

 The disadvantages are a higher air comsumption and a lesser quality finish
compared to a conventional spray gun. That being said most of the current
paints are two pack and are formulated to give a satisfactory finish off the
gun.

 Most professional shops now use HVLP. The guns are dearer to purchase. In
Australia a 'Star' gun is around $200 compared to $70 for a conventional.

 Graco make a hybrid gun that is HVLP compliant and has a gravity feed for
around $400. Most big volume producers like car manufacturers use electro
static guns. The loss is very small but the guns are up tp $7000.

see http://www.temco.com.au/high_volume_low_pressure.html

 regards from the west

 John Rowe
Temco Distributors