Installation of carpet

To: <bugtop@comcast.net>
Subject: Installation of carpet
From: "Mark Goodman" <mkgoodman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:53:30 -0400
Dear Mark,

I did my interior about 6 years ago and do not have all the answers for your
questions because I am waiting to get on a plane to Melbourne, Australia and
my car is about 50 miles from where I am.  I will answer your questions to
the best of my ability in BOLD TYPE.  I borrowed a Moss installation video
tape from Steve Byers, the BJ8 registrar, and then returned it to him.  I
will return home in 10 days, and can verify the rear seat configuration if
no one has answered your questions.

Sincerely,

Mark Goodman
66BJ8 35503

1. Do the rear floor carpets under the front seats get cut around the
runners?  My rear seat carpet doesn't have cutouts for the runners,
but I'm assuming you cut the carpet around the seat runners, instead
of bolting the seat runners on top of the carpet.

I cut the carpet to go around the runners.

2. In the rear bulkhead area, does the center drip tray tube run
behind the carpet, or on top of the carpet?

The carpet goes over the drip tray tube

3. In the rear seat area, is the vinyl and foam glued to the metal
surround?  Does it extend to the edge of the rear seat holes with the
foam seal around the edge?  It would seem the foam should be slightly
smaller than the vinyl area in order to get a better seal by gluing
the vinyl to the metal.

I would need to refer to my car for this one, but believe that the foam is
slightly smaller at the edges.

3+. Was there carpet underlay between the transmission tunnel and the
carpet, or just the tunnel and the carpet snapped over?

I highly suggest that you go to your local Home Depot and get some duct
wrapping self adhesive foam/foil to cover the tunnel both inside and out to
reduce the heat.  The carpet is then snapped over the foil backed foam.  Do
this to the floors also, as it will make a significant difference.

Anyway I'm sure it'll all look fine in the end, but "proper" interior
technique is probably the best route.

Thanks all,

By the way, after two years, the majority of it on blocks, I took it
out for a test drive.  New tires, new suspension, new brakes, new
tranny mounts.  What a visceral feeling it is to drive after the
Honda.  I feel like I'm testing the laws of physics in a new way.
It's also damn loud without the transmission tunnel installed.

Mark Buggy